History of Huntington Fire

1789- The Town of Huntington was founded. Frantic ringing of church bells calls out the bucket brigade.

1882- The Shelton Fire Department was organized with the founding of Echo Hose Hook and Ladder Company.

1914- Huntington offers to assist Echo Hose in purchasing a motorized fire engine, as long as it serves Huntington too. The offer is declined and a fire engine is purchased two years later for Echo Hose.

1917- The City of Shelton was founded, with Huntington as its Third Ward. The motorized fire engine cannot leave downtown Shelton.

1918- Alderman John Wesolowski organizes the Huntington Fire Company with 27 members on May 14th. It fights several serious fires its first year and is given the use of the former Huntington Town Hall. Mr. Wesolowski sister, Victoria, a Huntington Telephone Company operator, transmits the alarms over the telephone party lines.

1919- Huntington Fire Company reorganizes under new leadership.

1920- Huntington Fire Company receives its State Charter. Members build its first fire engine, an OJ Childs “auto chemical” on a Model T Ford chassis which was later mounted on a Pierce-Arrow in 1926.

1924- Packard Limousine converted into a “pumping engine” that could draft water. This was the first fire engine of its kind in this area. Like the auto-chemical, the equipment was later mounted on a second Pierce-Arrow in 1926.

1925- A 99-year lease is signed with the City to continue to use the old Town Hall as the Huntington fire house.

1934- The “Number 3” is added to the Huntington Fire Company’s name, due to it serving the Third Ward.

1935- The first fire engine is purchased, a Ford with a booster tank, hose and a pump, which serves until 1957.

1943- The first fire horns are installed above the firehouse, using an old compressor from Echo’s. The horns sounded utility pole numbers for fire locations.

1948- Huntington Telephone Company is taken over by SNET. Fire horns and sirens are the only fire alarm now.

1949- The fire house buys land on Nichols Avenue and installed a siren that remained in service until 2010. A third fire engine is now put into service.

1950- The front step of the firehouse is made into the Huntington War Memorial on the Huntington Green.

1953- A new parade flag is unveiled on Memorial Day.

1954- Charter Member George Arundell steps down after serving as Captain for 23 years. A request to form a Ladies’ Auxiliary is politely turned down.

1955- A fire engine made by a fire apparatus manufacturer is purchased- an American LaFrance on a Ford chassis, which served until 1978. Firefighters assist in a partial evacuation of Huntington during the October 1955 flood.

1956- The outside of the fire house is decorated with Christmas lights for the first time.

1957- A second Ford/American-LaFrance is purchased, originally called Truck 2. It has since been renamed to Engine 32 and is used as a parade piece today.

1959- Scott airpacks enter service with the Huntington Fire Company.

1962- All Huntington apparatus are renumbered in the “thirties”.

1966- A new addition is added to the firehouse to accommodate a fourth fire engine.

1968- A new firehouse is built. The old firehouse, located directly in front of the new one, is demolished and the Huntington Fire Brigade is formed.

1969- The Echo Hose Ambulance Corps bases the FD-15 ambulance at the firehouse which remained until 1987.

1974- The Fire Company purchases its first rescue truck, Truck 30.

1977- The last carnival is held, ending a tradition that started in 1927.

1986- A new heavy rescue truck, Squad 30, is purchased after extensive fundraising.

1987- Squad 30 wins “Best Rescue” at the Connecticut State Fire Convention.

1988- The first female firefighter joins the firehouse.

1995- The Ladies’ Auxiliary is officially formed.

1999- The firehouse receives Ladder 33, its first aerial ladder truck, converted from an FDNY truck.

2002- The city replaces Engine 35, a 1970 Hahn, with a new Pierce Engine Tanker. The Hahn was in continuous active service for 33 years, longer than any other piece of apparatus in Huntington.

2004- The city purchases 4 identical Pierce fire engines, and assigns one to Huntington as Engine 32.

2019-  Huntington Fire Company #3 celebrates it’s 100 year anniversary. Company 3 is chosen to hold the annual State of CT Firefighters Convention. The convention weekend ends in a large parade with fire departments from across the state participating.